Lohagarh Fort, Bharatpur
While most visitors to Bharatpur now visit the area for the nearby bird sanctuary, the Lohagarh Fort is still the focal point of the town. The fort takes its name from its supposedly impregnable defenses. Its ingenious design gave it an awesome reputation.
The Lohagarh Fort, true to its name stood solidly in front of many British attacks, and frustrated them to ends. It faced the British onslaught four times and after a long siege they had to withdraw, but Lord Lake, however was successful in capturing it in 1804.
It is very different from the other forts in state, there is no flamboyance associated to fort but it generates an aura of strength and magnificence. The fort is surrounded by two massive earthen ramparts, each encircled by a mot, the mud walls were so thick that all missiles were absorbed and the inner fort remained intact. The moats were 150 feet wide in part and up to 50 feet deep. The moat was previously filled with water to ward off the enemy attacks. The sandy ramparts were strengthened by sandy battlements, thus the enemy guns proved of no avail.
The entrance to the fort from the north over an ancient brick and stone bridge with pointed arches and through the Assaldati Gate. On either side of the gate are fading murals of elephants.
The palace within the fort was, like many throughout Rajasthan, built by different generations. Most of the buildings adopted Rajput and Mughal styles but in simplified forms, reflecting the Jat lack of ostentation.
Some interesting monuments in the fort are Kishori Mahal, Mahal Khas and Kothi Khas. Moti Mahal and towers like Jawahar Burj and Fateh Burj were erected to commemorate the victory over the Mughals and the British army . The Gateway has paintings of huge elephants.
Government Museum is located within the fort complex. This part of the building is called Kamra Palace. The museum exhibits a rich collection of artifacts and sculptures. Also displayed are ancient inscriptions and some historical pieces. Mahal Khas, including the royal apartments built by Maharaja Balwant Singh. The rooms are compact, with stone-latticed windows set in long, arched alcoves. Many walls are still covered with multi colored, painted designs.
Visiting Hours: 1000-1630 (closed on Fridays)
@Copyright 2008-2014 RajasthanTour4U.com | Blog | Contact Us | Advertise | FAQs | Travel Links | Sitemap |